Skip Navigation Links



Where can I find statistics on accidents/incidents at highway-rail grade crossings?


Information regarding highway-rail grade crossings, crossing accidents and accident prediction can be obtained on the FRA's Office of Safety Analysis Highway-Rail Crossing Inventory and Accidents page.


I need information on an accident that occured in 1974, but cant find any. Where can I obtain this information?


Our records date back to 1975.
However, some records relating to railroad accident reports can be obtained at the following addresses and phone numbers:

National Archives and Records Administration
Textual Reference Branch (NNR2)
National Archives at College Park
8601 Adelphi Road
College Park, MD 20740-6001
Phone (301) 837-3480 (main) or (301) 837-2052 (This is the phone number for David Pheiffer who deals with railroad records.)

Additionally, you could try,

National Railway Historical Society Library
100 North 17th Street, 12th Floor,
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Phone (215) 557-6606
(they have copies of published railroad accident reports dating from 1901-1993.)

The National Transportation Safety Board
Public Inquires Branch
490 L'Enfant Plaza, SW
Washington, DC 20594
Phone (202) 382-6735 or 1 800 877-6799

The California State Railroad Museum
111 I Street,
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 323-8073
(they have copies of the published ICC railroad accident reports dating from approximately 1918-1960.)

And finally,

The Department of Transportation has a library with a collection of reports and records. They are located in SW Washington and can be reached on (202) 366-0746.


Recently, I've had my accident/incident reports returned as undeliverable. What is the correct FRA mailing address?


FRA Project Office
6550 Rock Spring Dr, Suite 485
Bethesda, MD 20817

Additional FAQS